SALEM CHAPTER OF SIRC OF THE ICSI
' WELCOMES U '
About Salem City
The name 'Salem' appears to have been derived from the word Sela or Shalya which refers to the country around the hills, as in the inscriptions. Local tradition claims Salem as the birth place of the Tamil poetess Avvaiyar.
Salem was taken from Hyder by Colonel Wood in the beginning of 1768. But it was recaptured by Hyder towards the end of the year 1772. Under Lord Clive in 1799, it was again occupied by a detachment of the residents stationed at Sankari Durg and remained a military station till 1861 when the troops were altogether withdrawn.
The town is surrounded by an amphitheatre of hills - the Nagarmalai in the north, the Jeragamalai in the south, the Kanjanamalai in the west and the Godumalai in the east. It is divided by the Thirumanimuthar in the main division. The fort is the oldest place of the town.
Salem City is also called in other names as Steel City and Mango City.
About Salem Chapter
The Salem Chapter of SIRC of the ICSI was inaugurated on Sunday, the 24th September, 2000 as a Satellite Chapter by Thiru. Veerapandi S. Arumugam, Honble Minister for Agriculture, Govt. of Tamil Nadu in the august presence of Dr. G. Soodamani. M.S., Worshipful Mayor of Salem Corporation, Shri. J. Sridhar, President, The ICSI, Dr. P.V.S. Jagan Mohan Rao, Vice President, The ICSI, Shri. R. Ravi, Chairman, SIRC of the ICSI, Dr. S.P. Narang, Secretary, The ICSI along with Office Bearers, Members & Students of Salem.
About Salem Exam Centre
From June 2011, Salem City was confirmed as an Examination Centre for CS Students. Exam Centre Code for Salem is 318.